A Grove City man escaped safely Tuesday morning, Jan. 5, with his three dogs when a fire broke out at his residence.

A Grove City man escaped safely Tuesday morning, Jan. 5, with his three dogs when a fire broke out at his residence.

Jackson Township firefighters responded about 4 a.m. to a fire in the 3800 block of Homecomer Drive.

When firefighters arrived, they found the upstairs portion of the house engulfed in flames, Deputy Chief Shawn Quincel said.

The homeowner was able to get out safely with his dogs after a smoke detector alerted him to the fire, Quincel said.

"We were able to contain the fire in about 30 minutes," he said. "It was a pretty simple fire to get under control and it was confined to the upstairs. No one was hurt."

The fire was caused by an overloaded outlet from a space heater, Quincel said.

An estimate of the damage has not been determined, but the upstairs mostly was destroyed, he said.