Reynoldsburg police continue to investigate a shooting that occurred near the high school field house June 26 while a graduation party was being held inside the gym.

Reynoldsburg police continue to investigate a shooting that occurred near the high school field house June 26 while a graduation party was being held inside the gym.

Meanwhile, the Reynoldsburg school district has halted a longtime practice of making school facilities available for rent.

School facilities have for years been rented to private groups such as scouts, adult basketball leagues and churches for various functions, but district officials put an immediate stop to that practice after the weekend's events. Safety and security policies are being reviewed, according to district spokeswoman Tricia Moore.

"We've already started conversations with the mayor and the police department," she said. "We're looking to have an outside group do an audit of our procedures."

School officials, parents and students said people from outside Reynoldsburg stirred up trouble, apparently attracted to the party by a posting on the social-networking site, Facebook.

Pickerington, Columbus, Gahanna and Whitehall police were called to help Reynoldsburg officers gain control of what witnesses described as a chaotic scene on Saturday night.

Galvin Bonner, 19, a resident of Columbus' North Side, was treated at Grant Medical Center for gunshot wounds to the foot and buttocks, Reynoldsburg Police Chief David Suciu said. The wounds are not life-threatening.

The families of three graduates, Brandon Mitchell, Jaleel Washington and Jordan Thomas, had rented the gym for the party.

"As far as we can tell, none of the kids who were involved in the violence were those who held the party or were invited," Moore said.

The families followed all district regulations, Moore said: A police officer, a security specialist and a school official were there, as were about 10 adults who were "actively chaperoning."

The police officer was Katherine Mielke, who is also the district's school resource officer.

"It was fortunate that the security officer was officer Mielke, who was able to recognize faces," Moore said. "The parents were cooperative and did everything they were asked. Everything happened really quickly."

Moore said Tuesday that fewer than 100 students were at the party at around 10 p.m., but by 11:30 p.m., Mielke grew concerned because she started seeing many faces she didn't recognize and "she was concerned about the numbers."

At that point, she talked to the host families and the decision was made to cut off admission to the party The shooting occurred after that, near the field house, Moore said.

"The young man who was injured and people with him came to her (Mielke) for help," Moore said. "She tended to him and called for backup. That's when the other departments were called."

Joshua Montgomery, 18, said Reynoldsburg Athletics Director Clint Fetty went to the microphone in the gym and told people there had been an "incident" outside.

Then, he said, fights broke out around the gym. Chairs and speakers were tossed around. He estimated that about 30 people were involved in the fighting out of more than 200 in the room.

"Most of the crowd was just trying to stay out of the way as people were trying to break it up," Montgomery said.

Mayor Brad McCloud said Monday he was surprised to learn that school facilities are rented out.

"Apparently that's nothing new," he said. "It's been a standing practice since it was constructed. It was a party that just got out of hand."