The city of Upper Arlington is accepting applications from residents interested in serving on the Upper Arlington Tree Commission or the Upper Arlington Board of Health.

The city of Upper Arlington is accepting applications from residents interested in serving on the Upper Arlington Tree Commission or the Upper Arlington Board of Health.

Service on the city's boards and commissions is voluntary, and allows residents the opportunity to share their expertise with the community and to help shape city policy.

The city's tree commission meets the first Tuesday of each month to support and make recommendations to city council regarding Upper Arlington's comprehensive street tree program. The commission also hears residents' appeals.

The board of health meets the second Wednesday of every other month to establish policy and direct the public health activities for the residents of Upper Arlington. The board contracts with the Franklin County Board of Health to provide services.

The deadline to apply is Friday, Sept. 18. Application forms and additional details can be obtained from the City Clerk's Office, 3600 Tremont Road; downloaded from under the Administration | City Council section; or obtained by calling 583-5030.

"Care and Support for the Caregiver," a three-session series for anyone concerned about an older relative, will be offered on three Wednesdays, Sept. 23 through Oct. 7, from 7 to 8:30 p.m.

The free program is sponsored by Northwest Counseling Services' Caregiver Consultation Program.

It will be held at Northwest Counseling Services, 1560 Fishinger Road in Upper Arlington. Dan Brochetti, MSW, LISW, who serves as the caregiver consultant at Northwest Counseling Services, will be the facilitator.

Topics will include community resources, care for the caregiver and stress reduction strategies. Registration may be made by calling Brochetti at 614-273-2957.

Schoedinger Funeral & Cremation Service is the series sponsor.

With election season approaching, the city of Upper Arlington has issued a reminder of local regulations regarding political yard signs:

The city cannot regulate the language on political signs, since this would infringe upon individual freedom of speech. To register concerns call the Ohio Elections Commission at 466-3205 or visit

The city does regulate the size and location of political signs. The city can only request that signs be removed from private property if they are in a state of deterioration. To report a sign inappropriately placed in a public space, or to voice concern about the physical condition of signs in a neighbor's yard, residents may call the city's Code Compliance Division at 583-5073.

Political signs placed on private property are considered private property, and theft charges will be filed against any individual found to be taking such signs.

The city's Police Division recommends that residents place their name somewhere on their political signs for tracking purposes, so they can be returned if they are stolen and later recovered.

Fifth-graders in Upper Arlington City Schools interested in playing in band will have their opportunity this fall.

Spots are available for clarinets, flutes, trumpets, trombones and baritones. Instruction will be offered for these five instruments twice a week during the school day in local schools.

A letter outlining instrument information and a supply list is being distributed during the first week of school.

Instruction will begin the week of Sept. 14.