At Monday's council conference session, I formally signed a tri-party agreement on behalf of the city with the Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center (OSUWMC) and Medstone Realty Co. LLC (a university affiliate).

At Monday's council conference session, I formally signed a tri-party agreement on behalf of the city with the Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center (OSUWMC) and Medstone Realty Co. LLC (a university affiliate).

This finalizes our negotiations for the sale of the city-owned, approximately five-acre site along Zollinger Road at the Kingsdale Shopping Center to make way for the construction of an approximately 100,000-square-foot, five-story medical office facility. Medstone will assume ownership of the site and oversee construction on behalf of the university.

OSUWMC is eager to get the project started, with plans to break ground in June. If all goes well, the facility will be complete and open to the public by the close of 2016.

This project is a win-win for UA on so many levels.

It represents a significant boost in the availability of quality medical services within our community. These outpatient services include family medicine, general internal medicine, obstetrics and gynecology, behavioral health, heart care, surgery, physical rehabilitation, imaging/radiology, laboratory/blood draw services and internal medicine specialties, including dermatology, gastroenterology, rheumatology and endocrinology.

Recognizing that more than 4,000 university employees live in UA and that 13,000-plus residents are alumni, OSUWMC has stated that a primary goal is to establish a long-term, mutually beneficial health and wellness relationship with the city and the community of Upper Arlington. It's clear we have much more to look forward to once the facility has opened its doors.

From a fiscal perspective, we are realizing our goals for a professional office use at Kingsdale that more than justifies the city's investment in and holding of the site for this purpose since 2011. Our projections indicate that once operational, 80 percent of the facility will initially be occupied, with 155 employees generating a significant level of annual income tax revenue to the city. Additionally, OSUWMC business projections indicate that the remaining 20 percent of the space will be built out and occupied within five years, further enhancing revenues.

Last but not least, the Kingsdale Shopping Center merchants, restaurants and services stand to benefit significantly from patronage by the new employees who will be on-site each day, as well as the facility's patients.

I must say, I am looking forward to watching this project rise from the ground in the coming months. It goes hand-in-hand with another much-needed transformation in same vicinity. The medical facility breaks ground less than a month before the start of the Tremont Road reconstruction project. By the time both projects are complete, our most central business district will be fulfilling its promise as a vibrant, attractive and convenient community destination.

Theodore J. Staton is Upper Arlington's city manager.