At Senior Citizens of Reynoldsburg, our Tuesday and Thursday Total Fitness class is quite popular.
If you were to stop in, you would find a large, diverse group. We have both men and women who attend. We have the usual differences in age, height, weight, ethnicity and hair color.
We have members with health issues, rehabilitating individuals and, thankfully, many of us in good health. We have differing political views and religions.
Our members represent a variety of professions as well. Some of us are native to central Ohio while others are transplants from other cities and states. Interestingly, we have many members who have come to Reynoldsburg from a variety of countries, including Bermuda, Cuba, Eritrea-East Africa, Ethiopia, Germany, Japan, Korea, Panama, Peru, Puerto Rico, Spain, Taiwan and the Ukraine.
We are a mini-United Nations at the Senior Center. In spite of our differences, we are able to respect and care for each other.
Our common ground is the friendship we have found among our members.
We are all striving for better health through education, exercise and friendship. We are a welcoming and enthusiastic group. Come give us a try!
Here's what's happening in March.
* Thursday, March 9, at 9 a.m., the men's golf league will hold its first meeting.
* Thursday, March 16, at 2 p.m. will be the first book club meeting. We will meet to select our first book, name our group and establish our format.
* Friday, March 17, at 9 a.m., attorney James Hardgrove will discuss legal powers of attorney.
Tuesday, March 21, at 11:30 a.m., there will be a town hall meeting in which representatives from the city and the Reynoldsburg Parks and Recreation Department will discuss the proposed YMCA.
* Thursday, March 23, at 8:30 a.m., we will head to the Tanger Outlet in Sunbury. Call the office at 614-866-5890 to reserve your spot.
* Saturday, March 25, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Alan Meisterman from the Ohio Senior Health Insurance Information Program (OSHIIP) will be available to answer questions concerning Medicare and/or supplemental insurance. Call the office to schedule an appointment.
* Saturday, April 1, SCOR will be closed from 8 a.m. to noon for the Easter Bunny Breakfast. Call the Parks and Recreation office at 614-322-6806 if you are interested in attending.
* Tuesday, April 4, at 11:30 a.m. Phyllis Harmony will present, "Aging with Essential Oils -- A guide to essential oil use for those in their golden years."
Have a safe and happy St. Patrick's Day! Hope you'll consider joining us!
Debbie Mullarkey is a Reynoldsburg resident, a retired teacher and a longtime member of the Senior Citizens of Reynoldsburg.