The development of Grandview Heights and Marble Cliff was enhanced by the trolley system, which allowed riders to come from downtown in just over a quarter of an hour.
The trolley ran from downtown Columbus, across the river and west on Goodale Boulevard, heading up Broadview Avenue hill, shown in this c1910 photo, before turning down First Avenue to Arlington Avenue, eventually moving into Upper Arlington.
The house in the left foreground (1101 Broadview) was built in 1906 by Claude K. Seibert, an executive with the John Hancock Life Insurance Co. and the fourth Grandview mayor, serving from 1915 to 1919. He also was the president of the Fifth Avenue Floral Co.
Next to the Seibert home is the Frank A. Howell home, and next to it is the Dr. George Frankenberg home (his daughter, Marie, was married to Mr. Howell).
The stone pillars in the foreground frame the drive to the Frank Byers Howell family properties, later developed in 1957 by Anthony Amicon as Broadview Terrace.
Transcripts of interviews with early Grandview residents indicate that local kids sometimes greased the tracks as a prank so that the trolleys had difficulty climbing the Broadview hill.