A Dublin police officer on patrol thwarted a theft in progress April 11.
According to Dublin Police Department incident reports, the officer was in the 7100 block of Hospital Drive when he saw a man leaving a business through entry rather than exit doors with items in a cart that weren't in plastic bags typically used after items have been purchased.
The 23-year-old Washington Township resident first told police he paid for the groceries and was waiting on a friend still inside the store. Later he admitted to stealing the items, which totaled $134.85.
While putting handcuffs on the suspect, police found 1.18 grams of marijuana in his pockets.
Representatives of the business told police they would pursue theft charges against the man, who also had outstanding warrants for theft filed by the Columbus Division of Police.
The man was charged with theft and marijuana possession in connection with the incident in Dublin.
In other recent Dublin police incident reports:
* A 21-year-old Dublin man was cited for disorderly conduct after police at 7:40 p.m. April 11 were dispatched to the first block of North High Street on a report of intoxicated people walking in the road.
* Police at 12:56 p.m. April 11 responded to a theft from a building in the first block of North High Street in which a cell phone valued at $580 was stolen.
* An 18-year-old man was cited for drug possession April 11 in the 100 block of Monterey Drive.
* A resident in the 8700 block of Dunsinane Drive at 9 a.m. April 10 told police $30 in cash and a Garmin navigation device valued at $125 were taken from her vehicle.
* A resident in the 5700 block of Loch Maree Court North at 8:52 a.m. April 10 told police $600 in cash and $1,537 in property including computer hardware and software, handbags/wallets and credit cards were taken from his vehicle.
* A 23-year-old man was cited for possession of drug paraphernalia April 8 in the 4200 block of Dale Drive.
* A 43-year-old Dublin man was cited for disorderly conduct and issued a summons for obstructing official business after police responded to a physical altercation at 11:54 p.m. April 7 in the 4100 block of West Dublin-Granville Road.
* Police at 3:36 p.m. April 7 responded to a resident in the 6400 block of Post Road who said $270 in prescription medication was stolen from her.
* A 35-year-old Dublin man was arrested after police were notified at 12:33 p.m. April 7 that he stole a vehicle valued at $22,000 from a business in the 6300 block of Sawmill Road. He was also charged with two counts of driving under suspension.
* An employee with a business in the 6500 block of Dublin Center Drive at 11:01 April 7 told police video footage showed evidence of a 25-year-old Dublin woman taking items from store shelves to receive a no-receipt return for an in-store credit of $145.74.
The employee alleged the woman has committed thefts from the business' other stores and loss prevention employees intend to press charges.
* A 32-year-old woman was cited for drug possession April 7 in the 5100 block of Post Road.
* A 20-year-old man was cited for drug possession April 7 at Emerald Parkway and Post Road.