Grove City police charged a boy with a felony count of motor vehicle theft Aug. 15 after he allegedly attempted to gain control of a vehicle while running from officers.
Officers were dispatched at 4:16 p.m. that day to the 2800 block of London Groveport Road on a report of a juvenile running from the Buckeye Ranch, 4665 Hoover Road.
A boy was observed in a parking lot, but he ran off as an officer approached him in his cruiser.
The boy ran into the roadway, and the officer watched as the boy ran up to a car stopped at a stop sign and pulled on the driver's door handle attempting to open the door, reports stated. When the boy realized the door was locked, he reached through the open window and tried to open the door.
The officer, who was about 30 feet away from the car, could hear the boy yelling and using obscene language while demanding the driver get out of the car, according to reports. The driver grabbed the boy and held onto him until the officer arrived and apprehended him.
The boy struggled to get away and threatened the officer as he was led back to the cruiser, reports stated.
In other recent Grove City police reports:
* A man told police Aug. 9 that tools were stolen from his company van while he was staying overnight at a hotel in the 3900 block of Jackpot Road. Total loss was $2,500, reports stated.
* Police charged a Grove City man Aug. 11 with fleeing after he led an officer on a foot chase about 2:40 a.m. Aug. 11.
The officer was on patrol in the 3000 block of Southwest Boulevard when he observed the man stumbling while walking behind closed businesses, according to reports. The officer pulled his cruiser up to the man and asked him if he was OK, and the man said he had just left a bar and was using his cellphone. He appeared to be drunk, and the officer asked him for his identification.
The man said he did not have his driver's license with him but gave his name, date of birth and Social Security number. The officer asked him to stand by the cruiser while he checked out the information.
The suspect ran away, and the officer got out of his cruiser, ordered the man to stop and then gave chase on foot, reports stated.
The man began to slow down in front of a house in the 2900 block of Addison Drive and then went to the ground and the officer took him into custody. During a search of the suspect, the officer found a pill bottle containing a metal pipe with marijuana residue and an orange rocklike substance inside a folded lottery ticket, reports stated. The suspect told the officer the orange rock was Suboxone, according to reports.
Another officer arrived on the scene and identified the suspect as a 43-year-old Grove City man.
The suspect was charged with misdemeanor counts of disorderly intoxication, falsification, fleeing and possession of drug paraphernalia, reports stated.
He also was found to have warrants for failure to appear and a probation violation through Franklin County Municipal Court.
The man was taken to the Franklin County jail.
* A foreman for a Reynoldsburg landscaping company told police two backpack blowers were stolen Aug. 15 from a company truck parked in the 3200 block of Townhouse Drive. Total loss was $900, reports stated.
* A Grove City woman reported Aug. 11 that an entertainment center valued at $500 and a satchel bag containing four of her credit cards were stolen Aug. 2 while she was moving from her former address in the 2600 block of Landings Way. The woman said employees from a moving company and another person had been in the residence as she was preparing to move.
* Police responded to two recent reports of pistols stolen from vehicles.
A resident in the 2200 block of Buttercup Lane reported Aug. 12 a loaded pistol valued at $329 was stolen overnight from the glove box of his car.
A resident in the 600 block of Caffrey Court East told police Aug. 17 his pistol, valued at $420, was stolen overnight from his pickup truck.
In both cases, the victims said there were no signs of forced entry to their vehicles, which they both believed had been left unlocked.