The commercial and social focus of the Grandview Heights community switched from First Avenue to Grandview Avenue after the competition of the Grandview Bank Block in 1927.
The area hosted three grocery stores, a bank, drug stores, a movie theater and a confectionery.
The community gravitated to Grandview Avenue for shopping, community block parties, high school fraternity and sorority initiations, movie debuts and just to hang out.
Except for an intermittent decline from the late 1970s to the mid-1980s, this level of community activity has been constant, with a greater resurgence in the 1990s as a result of shops and restaurants that were added to the strip.
This 1948 photograph shows shoppers as they visit the stores in the Bank Block on a late October morning.