As Thanksgiving approaches, we are encouraged to count our blessings.
The typical ones regard our family, friends and our health. For our members, another blessing is SCOR.
We are thankful for our center and the many more blessings it brings.
We are thankful for city officials who see and support the many benefits SCOR offers. Other areas have seen their senior programs cut or eliminated, but our officials support SCOR and its 1,400 members.
Our members are thankful for the many programs SCOR provides. We are fortunate to have such a wide variety of activities where we can learn new things, exercise our bodies and minds as well as enjoy ourselves.
Our members are thankful for the friendships we have made and continue to make at SCOR.
Our members are thankful that we are provided opportunities to give back to our community. The Golden Clefs Chorus travels throughout the community, bringing joy to those who cannot come to SCOR. Our monthly food drives to benefit Helping Hands allow us to help those in need,
Lastly, we are thankful for the staff at SCOR and the support of the director of the Reynoldsburg Parks and Recreation Department, Donna Bauman. Judy, Eileen, Cookie and Della are the forces behind our success. They work endlessly to make sure everything runs smoothly. They plan wonderful programs and trips which allow us to learn as well as enjoy ourselves, in addition to running many of the daily activities.
You can see we are thankful for such a wonderful place.
Now here's what happening at SCOR:
* Tuesday, Nov. 14: A group will go on a Mystery Lunch trip.
* Thursday, Nov. 16 at noon: We'll make a holiday wreaths. Contact the office for details and cost.
* Friday, Nov. 17 at 9 a.m.: Attorney James Hardgrove will lead discussions about which assets are controlled by a will and which are not; gifting as an estate-planning tool and "When death Occurs -- What to do?" This is open to everyone.
* Monday, Nov. 20 at noon: our Thanksgiving luncheon. We have a "Let's Make a Deal" theme for the event. The fee is $10 and is limited to the first 200 to sign up. Call the office if you are interested.
* Wednesday, Nov. 29 at 9:30 a.m.: A group will head to Polaris for a shopping trip. Contact the office for availability.
* Thursday, Nov. 30 at 1p.m.: We'll learn how to make a beautiful crystal snowflake pendant, just in time for holiday gift-giving.
SCOR will be closed on Friday, Nov. 10, in recognition of Veterans Day; Nov. 23-25 for Thanksgiving; Dec. 23, 25 and 26 for the Christmas holiday.
In the event of inclement weather and Reynoldsburg schools are closed, SCOR will open at 10 a.m. If conditions continue to be hazardous, please use good judgment on whether to come out in the weather.
Debbie Mullarkey is a Reynoldsburg resident, a retired teacher and a longtime member of the Senior Citizens of Reynoldsburg.