A structure that sometimes could be found adjacent to turn-of-the-century homes in Grandview Heights and Marble Cliff was the water tower, also called the tank house.
This building provided storage for water that was used in the residence; its height provided the necessary pressure for adequate usage.
Tanks initially were made redwood; later ones, metal.
The structure enclosures sometimes had space for storage, including carriages.
Some even integrated living space for visitors or hired help.
The far-left photo shows the tower at the rear of the Eugene Gray home, designed by Frank Packard, at 1080 Wyandotte Road, seen looking southeast from the back porch of the house. The structure to the left of the tower is the carriage house, now a separate home at 1082 Wyandotte.
The top-right photo was the tower on the property of the Urlin mansion (now the site of the Summit Chase high-rise).
The lower-right photo was the tower of the John Price residence, located at Fifth Avenue and Dublin Road. Both used windmills to pump water from wells or cisterns to the storage at the top of the tower.