The New Albany Police Department recovered a loaded handgun from a vehicle after a traffic stop Dec. 1.
An officer on patrol pulled over a 24-year-old Newark man at 11:12 p.m. Dec. 1 at the state Route 161 eastbound ramp at Beech Road for an active warrant and learned of the gun, according to reports.
Sgt. Kris Daniels said the out-of-state warrant was for a theft-related charge and the man did not have a license to carry a concealed handgun.
According to Ohio law, only concealed-carry license holders may transport a loaded handgun in a vehicle.
All others must transport firearms unloaded, which means the gun has no ammunition in the chamber and no loaded magazines or speed loaders inserted into it, according to section 2923.16 of the Ohio Revised Code.
Unloaded firearms must be in a closed package, box or case; a compartment that could be reached only by leaving the vehicle; or in plain sight with the action open if it's a long gun, according to section 2923.16.
If loaded gun magazines or ammunition that could be used in the gun are in the vehicle, they must be "stored in a compartment within the vehicle in question that cannot be accessed without leaving the vehicle or ... stored in a container that provides complete and separate enclosure," according to section 2923.16.
In other recent New Albany police incident reports:
* A 51-year-old Columbus woman was cited for OVI after officers responded to reckless-operation call at 5:12 p.m. Dec. 2 at state Route 161 and Johnstown Road.
* A 57-year-old Columbus man was cited for OVI and possession of controlled substances after a vehicle stop at 4:32 p.m. Dec. 2 at New Albany and Central College roads. Police also found marijuana and heroin in the vehicle.
* A 28-year-old New Albany woman was arrested for possessing drug paraphernalia and drug-abuse instruments and obstructing official business, along with two warrants for receiving stolen property, after officers were dispatched at 3:28 a.m. Dec. 2 to the 9800 block of Johnstown Road on a report that people were exhibiting signs of narcotics use.
* A 45-year-old Columbus man was cited for OVI after a traffic stop at 1:10 p.m. Dec. 2 on the 7200 block of New Albany-Condit Road.
* A 30-year-old Columbus man was cited for drug paraphernalia after a traffic stop at 9:27 a.m. Dec. 1 at Forest Drive and Smith's Mill Road.
* A 32-year-old Hilliard man was cited for OVI after a vehicle stop at 8:17 p.m. Dec. 1 in the 8800 block of Smith's Mill Road.
* A vehicle was reported damaged by scratches at 1:40 p.m. Nov. 28 in the 200 block of Market Street.
* A 27-year-old man was cited for drug abuse and controlled-substance possession or use after a traffic stop at 7:53 p.m. Nov. 27 at state Route 161 and Johnstown Road.