Whitehall police arrested a 33-year-old man for robbery and a 25-year-old man for possession of drug-abuse instruments at 11:30 p.m. Jan. 6 at Walmart, 3657 E. Main St.
Police responded to an officer-in-trouble call at the store and assisted the officer with placing a man into custody. The man, who reportedly resisted arrest, told police he had attempted to steal a speaker so he could sell it for money to purchase crack cocaine.
Officers reportedly chased the man "in circles" through the store's parking lot before he entered a vehicle. The man closed the door, trapping the officer's arm; the officer deployed his Taser, then radioed for assistance, according to reports.
The man started the car and the officer, who reported fearing for his safety, struck the man and grabbed the keys, according to reports.
The suspect bit the officer's hand and punched him, while the officer threw elbows and punches from inside the vehicle, reports said.
Responding officers then arrived, removed the man from the car and apprehended him, according to reports.
A second man in the back seat of the car was not involved in the fight and told police he did not know the suspect planned to steal the speaker, but he was arrested after a syringe fell from his pocket as he fled the vehicle, police said.
In other recent Whitehall police reports:
* Police arrested a 29-year-old man for burglary, possession of criminal tools and two counts of child endangering at 6:15 p.m. Jan. 6 at a business in the 4600 block of Poth Road, according to reports.
On Jan. 3, a security officer for the Poth Road facility told police he believed a former employee was stealing property from one of the company's vehicles. Three days later, a caller from the company reported the suspect was at the site.
Police apprehended the man, who told officers he had a "drug problem" and needed money since being laid off in December.
The man stole a smart watch from a truck at the facility, according to reports.
Police discovered the man's two preschool-age children had been left in an idling vehicle the man had driven to the site, reports said. Police searched the vehicle and reportedly found flattened boxes with shipping labels. The company confirmed one of the boxes had come from the Whitehall facility and the other from the company's Grove City location.
While being questioned at the police station, the man told police he had been to the Poth Road facility "about six or seven times" and took laptop computers, video-game consoles and a smart watch, selling the stolen merchandise to a man he identified to officers.
* Police reported a 9-year-old boy struck a classroom aide in the face Jan. 4 at Beechwood Elementary School, 455 Beechwood Road.
The boy has acted violently toward the aide several times in the past, according to reports. In this instance, the woman required medical treatment and said she wanted to pursue criminal charges, police said.
On Jan. 9, police told the victim, after consultation with the Franklin County Prosecutor's Office, that the boy did not meet the age criterion of 10 for criminal charges and the incident that occurred did not appear to rise to the level to require a competency hearing. Police could not prosecute in relation to the incident, according to reports.
Officials with the Whitehall City School District would not comment on how the incident was handled internally.
* Burglaries were reported at 9:15 p.m. Jan. 7 in the 900 block of Beechwood Road; at 1:50 a.m. Jan. 8 in the 3800 block of East Broad Street; and at 6:35 a.m. Jan. 9 in the 4200 block of Rickenbacker Avenue.
* Thefts were reported at 4:20 p.m. Jan. 3 in the 4600 block of Faith Avenue; at 9 p.m. Jan. 3 in the 3900 block of East Broad Street; at 12:05 p.m. Jan. 4 in the 600 block of Fairway Boulevard; at 11:30 p.m. Jan. 4 in the 4100 block of Elbern Avenue; at 9:50 a.m. Jan. 5 in the first block of Rita Court; at 5:15 p.m. Jan. 8 in the 3800 block of East Main Street; at 11:55 a.m. Jan. 9 in the 100 block of Beechcreek Road; and at 12:05 p.m. Jan. 9 in the 1000 block of Colgate Road.
* Assaults were reported at 3:25 a.m. Jan. 5 in the 4300 block of East Main Street; and at 2:25 p.m. Jan. 8 in the 3900 block of Beechbank Road.
* Vehicles were reported stolen at 6:35 a.m. Jan. 5 in the 1000 block of Erickson Avenue; at 11:20 a.m. Jan. 5 in the 200 block of South Hamilton Road; at 1 a.m. Jan. 9 in the 4000 block of Beechbank Road; and at 5:25 p.m. Jan. 9 in the 300 block of North Hamilton Road.
* Property destruction was reported at 4 p.m. Jan. 3 in the 3800 block of Elbern Avenue; at 8:15 p.m. Jan. 5 in the 4400 block of Allen Drive; and at 9:45 a.m. Jan. 6 in the 4200 block of East Broad Street.