In a photo from Nov. 12, 1952, children are shown leaving the old Eighth Avenue School in favor of the new Weinland Park Elementary School on Seventh Avenue.
"Six hundred North Side children walked one block south and 63 years forward in school housing," The Columbus Dispatch reported. "Teachers and pupils carried big paper bags filled with their books, pencils and school equipment."
School design had changed since the Eighth Avenue building had been erected in 1889.
The new school offered modern furniture and lighting, a spacious, glass-walled lobby and a large auditorium.
Weinland Park Elementary opened two years before the Supreme Court handed down the Brown v. Board of Education decision.
The school, which served students in kindergarten to fifth grade, was integrated, although most of the students were white.