A golfer tees off on the first fairway of the Arlington Country Club, just west of the clubhouse on the bluff overlooking the Scioto River and Dublin Pike (now Dublin Road) in Marble Cliff.
In 1896, the Arlington Driving and Riding Club moved into the quarters designed for them by noted Columbus architect Frank Packard.
The two-story clubhouse was on more than 4 acres of land and included a track and stable facilities for the riding club. Until 1903, it was the area's only golf course.
n additional 12 acres were acquired after 1905 to accommodate the original four holes into a nine-hole course, and it was incorporated as the Arlington Country Club.
In March 1919, the Shriners of the Aladdin Temple purchased the property, which included almost 17 acres, the clubhouse, a bowling house, locker and shower buildings, tennis courts and the golf course, which spanned the railroad tracks on the west side of Marble Cliff.
After extensive remodeling and landscaping -- with never-realized plans to enlarge the golf course to 18 holes -- it reopened as the Aladdin Country Club, "a place for pleasure, entertainment and exercise" for its members.
The club expanded its membership with golf as the major sport.
The golf club remained in existence until 1925, and the clubhouse survived for years, sometimes vacant, sometimes as a private residence.