Grove City police said an Orient man whose car was stopped May 16 for speeding was subsequently arrested on felony drug possession and misdemeanor theft charges.

An officer was on routine patrol at 8:16 p.m. in the area of Quail Trail Boulevard and Borror Road when he observed a car being driven at a high rate of speed. The officer clocked the car traveling at 50 mph in a 35 mph zone, according to reports. The car also did not have a front license plate.

As the car passed him, the officer noticed it appeared to match the description of a vehicle that was being sought in connection to the theft of a ladder from a construction site on Edgarton Drive.

In that report, a resident told police that at 6:20 p.m. May 16 she observed a car with no front license plate stop at a construction area in the 4800 block of Edgarton. She said a man got out of the car, took a ladder and what appeared to be some tools, reports stated. She said the man strapped the ladder to the top of his car, used the open trunk lid to support the ladder and placed something over the trunk lid to cover the rear license plate.

As the car passed him at Quail Trail and Borror, the officer noted the car had large scaffolding jacks strapped to its top and that the rear license plate was obscured by a blanket, according to reports.

The officer turned around and stopped the car near the intersection of Hoover Road and London-Groveport Road. He was able to confirm that both the description of the car and the occupant matched the description given by the witness to the ladder theft.

After being questioned, the man admitted he had taken the ladder and said the tools that were in his car belonged to his father.

The father later told police the tools did not belong to him and he didn't know where they had been obtained, reports stated.

The office found an empty cigarette pack containing an Oxycodone pill wrapped in tin foil in the back seat of the car, according to reports.

In other recent Grove City police reports:

* A Canal Winchester contractor told police May 16 that pump jacks, valued at $1,500, were stolen overnight from a house under construction in the 5300 block of Lilac Avenue. The man said his workers left the pump jacks and scaffolding attached to the building when they left at 5 p.m. May 15, reports stated. The next morning, they found the scaffolding on the ground and the pump jacks missing.

* A resident in the 3500 block of Magnolia Street reported May 19 that someone cashed a fraudulent check for $1,525 from his account. The man said the check, which had his name written on it in the memo line, was made out to a man and authorized by a woman, according to reports. He said he does not know anybody by either of their names. He said his account number was handwritten on the check. The check was dated May 3 and cleared his bank on May 9, reports stated.

* A resident in the 2600 block of Hilldale Drive reported May 23 that a laptop computer shipped to her house was apparently stolen after it was delivered. The woman said she works out of her home and her employer had shipped her the new computer without her knowledge. On May 14, her boss asked her about the new laptop and she reported she had not received it. Her company checked with UPS, which confirmed the laptop had been delivered May 7. The laptop is valued at $1,453, reports stated.

* An officer was dispatched May 20 to the 4300 block of Kathryns Place on a report that a missing cellphone had been tracked to that area. A Grove City man told police his phone had been stolen May 18 while he was attending an event at Monterey Elementary School, 3811 Hoover Road. The man did not file a police report at that time. He said he checked May 20 to see if the phone had been turned on, and the device's last location was listed as Kathryns Place around 5 a.m. that day, reports stated. The victim said he contacted someone at the address that was listed, but they denied knowing anything about the phone. An office checked a map on an app which indicated the phone was in the middle of a parking lot and there was no way to trace it to a specific address, according to the report.