Did you know July is National Ice Cream Month?
With that in mind, we thought it was fitting to ask Jeni Britton Bauer, the founder of Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams, to discuss where to find best ice cream in the area, what she typically orders at other ice cream shops and why ice cream can be so tricky to make right. Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams has more than 30 stores across nine states, including 10 locations in central Ohio.
With Jeni being a special guest, we started our podcast by doing a short interview with her before getting into our usual debate with our other panelists.
This is "The Great Food Debate," where we discuss the best food, drinks and specialties found in central Ohio. And oh, my goodness, did we scream for ice cream on this one!
This episode's panelists are:
• Jeni Britton Bauer, founder and chief brand officer of Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams
• Jim Fischer, Columbus Alive assistant editor
• Julie Miller, founder of "What Should We Do Today?"
• Lisa Proctor, ThisWeek Community News community editor
Where can the best ice cream be found in central Ohio?
• Jeni's pick: Johnson's Real Ice Cream (locations in Bexley, Dublin and New Albany) and Graeter's (locations across five states)
• Jim's pick: Ollie's Fine Ice Cream (19 S. Franklin St., Delaware)
• Julie's pick: Dulce Vita Ice Cream Factory (two locations in Columbus)
• Lisa's pick: Graeter's
Other restaurants and ice cream flavors mentioned in this episode:
• Little Eater (locations in Clintonville and the North Market)
• Brassica (locations in Bexley, Short North and Upper Arlington)
• Krema Nut Co. (1000 W. Goodale Blvd., Columbus)
• Hirsch Fruit Farm (two locations in Chillicothe)
• Hot fudge sundae at Johnson's
• Banana split with black-raspberry chip ice cream at Graeter's
• Oreo paleta from Dulce Vita Ice Cream Factory
• Diamonds Ice Cream (5461 Bethel Sawmill Center, Columbus)
• Buckeye Blitz at Graeter's
• Butter pecan ice cream at Johnsons
• Pickled mango ice cream at Jeni's
• Swenson's (locations in Akron, Cleveland and Canton)
• Mardi Gras Homemade Ice Cream (1947 Hard Road, Columbus)
• La Plaza Tapatia (4233 Shoppers Lane, Columbus)
• Cream & Sugar (2185 Sullivant Ave., Columbus)
• Hartzler Family Dairy Ice Cream Shop (5454 Cleveland Road, Wooster)
• Middle West Spirits (1230 Courtland Ave., Columbus)
• Dairy Queen (locations nationwide)
• McDonald's (locations nationwide)
• G.D. Ritzy's (coming back soon)
• Friendly's (no longer available in Ohio, but there are locations across more than 10 states along the east coast)
• Icedream cone at Chick-Fil-A (locations nationwide)
• United Dairy Farmers (locations nationwide)
• Third & Hollywood (1433 W. Third Ave., Grandview Heights)
• Cookie Dough Creamery (7227 N. High St., Worthington)
• The Little Ice Cream Shoppe (3229 Hilliard Rome Road, Hilliard)
• Kilwins (4549 Bridge Park Ave., Dublin, and other locations nationwide)
• Coppa Gelato (925 N. State St., Westerville)
• Handel's Homemade Ice Cream & Yogurt (locations across nine states)
Did we miss any of your favorite ice cream shops? Have any suggestions on what we should talk about? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet us at @ThisWeekNews.
New episodes are released every Friday. Subscribe to our podcast on iTunes, Google Play and Stitcher. After you subscribe, the latest episodes will be downloaded automatically to your phone or tablet so you can listen during your commute while working out or making dinner.
This podcast was produced by Scott Hummel, ThisWeek assistant managing editor, digital.