The findings of an autopsy for a man found dead inside a Whitehall residence after a fire will not be known for about three months, according to the Franklin County Coroner's Office.

Sgt. John Grebb of the Whitehall Division of Police said the body of Arthur G. McClain III, 50, was found at the house in the 4100 block of Ural Avenue on July 7 after Whitehall firefighters extinguished a fire there.

McClain, who was alone and on probation for menacing his ex-wife, was pronounced dead at the scene. His ex-wife had fled the house with children before the fire, Grebb said.

Police received a report of domestic violence at the house at 2:40 p.m. As officers were responding, they received a report that a man had barricaded himself inside and fire and smoke were seen coming from the house, Grebb said.

The police division's SWAT team went to the house, along with the Whitehall Division of Fire. The SWAT team found McClain's body, Grebb said.

According to police reports, a 12-year-old female at the residence stabbed McClain.

Six individuals were inside the residence at the time: a 43-year-old woman and five juveniles, ages 15, 12, 7, and two 5-year-olds, according to the report.

Officers found the family outside the residence and observed the 15-year-old boy had sustained a cut to his hand.

Family members told police the location of the knife and police found it in the lawn.

The knife appeared to have a small streak of blood on it, according to the report.

The woman told police McClain was inside the residence and she believed "he was seriously injured."

He had taken her keys, she told police, and all the doors of the residence were locked.

Officers kicked open the back door to gain entry but were required to move a refrigerator in order to enter the residence, according to the report.

The kitchen oven was open and it appeared items had been inside and were burning, according to the report.

The report indicated "a very large amount of blood covering the floor in the kitchen."

Police observed a bag of clothes on fire in a bedroom but were required to withdraw as smoke levels increased.

Grebb said McClain showed up at the house the evening of July 6 and told his ex-wife he had nowhere to go, so she allowed him to stay.

The 2001 marriage of Arthur and Nancy McClain was dissolved in 2012, according to court records.

McClain was charged with felony aggravated burglary and kidnapping last year, accused of breaking into the house on Ural Avenue and confronting his ex-wife and two children, aged 7 and 5, with knives.

He pleaded guilty to reduced misdemeanor charges of aggravated menacing. He was sentenced in April to 180 days in jail, suspended for 18 months on intensive supervision probation, according to court records.

Mary Beth Lane of The Columbus Dispatch contributed to this story.