Band director: Mark Sturm
Name of high school: Franklin Heights High School
Band’s official name: Golden Falcon Marching Band
• Mark Sturm, director
• Robert Ragland, assistant director
• Sam Hershey, Finland Middl School band director who assists with high school’s band
Field commander(s): Karissa Dillon and Cicely Reed
Total number of band members, including color guard/flag corps: 106
Number of seniors, juniors, sophomores and freshmen: 17 seniors, 23 juniors, 30 sophomores and 36 freshmen.
Date of first home halftime show: Aug. 24 vs. Eastmoor Academy
Date of homecoming game: Oct. 5 vs. Big Walnut
Theme of homecoming halftime show:
The homecoming half time show will have a Latin music theme. Homecoming also serves as alumni band night.
Marching band’s season theme if applicable:
The band will be performing selections from its competition show during halftime at home football games. This year’s competition show theme is “Your Eyes are the Window.” It features “eye” and “window” songs. The selections include “Eye in the Sky,” by Alan Parsons Project; “Waving Through a Window,” from the Broadway musical, “Dear Evan Hansen”; “In Your Eyes,” by Peter Gabriel; “Keep Passing the Open Windows,” by Queen; and “Your Eyes,” from “Rent.”
The Finland Middle School eighth-grade band will perform with the high school band at the Sept. 14 home game against Westland. The combined bands will play “Rock ’n’ Roll Part 2” and the FHHS fight song.
Scheduled special performances and competitions:
• Sept. 22 -- Grove City High School Marching Band Invitational
• Sept. 29 -- Buckeye Invitational at Ohio State University
• Oct. 13 -- performing at Dublin Band Showcase at Dublin Jerome High School and an OMEA local marching band adjudicated event at Hilliard Darby High School
• Oct. 20 -- participating in an OMEA local marching band adjudicated event at Newark High School and in the Preview of Champions Marching Band contest at Thomas Worthington High School
• Oct. 23 -- South-Western City Schools Marching Band Showcase at Westland High School
• Oct. 27 -- OMEA State Marching Band Finals at Hilliard Bradley High School.
Name of band boosters: Franklin Heights Band Boosters
Band’s or boosters’ website and/or social-media links:
Additional details and/or comments from band director:
We’ve had a great summer ahead of our band camp at Rio Grande University (July 29-Aug. 3.) Instead of doing a show for our parents at the camp, we’re able to wait until we get back and do the show on the football field. It’s a great way to wrap up the week.
We had a good performance at the Westland Area Business Association’s parade in June. I like having an event in June. It helps keep the band sharp and ready to go for band camp.
We have a great group of squad leaders this year. As we head into band camp, we’re actually a little ahead of where we’d expect to be at this point in the summer. I was really happy with the way pre-camp went. Our freshmen classes were already marching well and playing really well.
-- Compiled by Alan Froman/ThisWeek