Whitehall police arrested a 45-year-old Westerville man for felonious assault and illegal possession of a firearm in connection with a shooting at 10:40 p.m. Aug. 14 at an apartment in the 4000 block of Beechbank Road.
Officers responded to a report of gunshots in the area.
Police received multiple calls and were directed to where witnesses reportedly heard arguing and three shots.
Officers were outside the apartment and had not yet announced their presence when a man opened the door. Police announced themselves and the man retreated inside, reports said.
After about nine minutes, a man exited the apartment, but police determined three other men and a 4-year-old boy remained inside, according to reports.
Police placed phone calls to the three men, and they eventually came outside and were taken into custody.
Meanwhile, Mount Carmel East Hospital contacted Whitehall police to report a woman had arrived at the emergency room with a single gunshot wound to her left foot.
She had arrived with a woman and a man, according to reports.
The 23-year-old Whitehall woman who had been shot told police she had been involved in an altercation at the Beechbank Road residence with another woman.
According to witnesses, the dispute stemmed from the 23-year-old woman’s alleged acceptance of money that was intended for another woman, who was incarcerated. When that money was not deposited into the account at the jail, multiple people involved in the dispute met at the Beechbank Road residence, according to reports.
Two women were fighting and others were observing when the 45-year-old man allegedly fired toward the two fighting women, reports said.
All four men who remained at the apartment after the shooting were arrested. They included the man accused of shooting the woman, two others for outstanding warrants and another for assault, reports said.
In other recent Whitehall police reports:
• Police arrested an 18-year-old Columbus man for aggravated robbery and a 22-year-old Columbus man for robbery at 4:55 p.m. Aug. 9 in the 4600 block of East Main Street.
An officer witnessed a man, standing outside a vehicle, punch another man seated inside the vehicle, then get into the driver’s seat of the same vehicle.
The officer approached the vehicle, stopped at an angle on the far side of a parking lot, and a third man in the back seat of the vehicle exited and approached the officer, reports said.
The man had blood on top of his head, according to reports.
The man in the driver’s seat also reportedly exited the vehicle and approached the officer.
The man who has been assaulted told police two men inside the car robbed him and there was a gun inside the vehicle.
The officer, at gunpoint, ordered all three men to the ground, and assisting officers detained them.
One of the men was carrying $1,340 in $20 bills, reports said.
That man told police he and another man picked up the assault victim. The two men wanted to purchase marijuana, and the victim wanted to buy cellphones, according to police.
The man in the back seat reportedly drew a pistol, prompting one the men to assault him in self-defense, according to accounts from the other two men.
Police questioned the man who had been assaulted and he told police one of the other men drew the gun – a revolver he saw was unloaded – and that after grabbing the gun, one of the men assaulted him.
One of the men struck him on the head with the revolver and took his money, reports said.
Police found the gun in the car, along with 4 grams of marijuana, empty cellphone boxes, two electronic devices and three counterfeit bills, according to reports.
After interviewing a witness who backed up the victim’s account, the other two men were arrested and transported to the Franklin County jail, reports said.
• Burglaries were reported at 12:45 p.m. Aug. 8 in the 100 block of Beechford Road; at 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. Aug. 9 in the 200 block of Maplewood Avenue; and at 9:35 a.m. Aug. 14 in the 500 block of Virginia Circle West.
• Thefts were reported at 9:45 a.m. Aug. 8 in the 500 block of South Hamilton Road; at 2:35 p.m. Aug. 9 in the 4400 block of East Broad Street; at 3:50 p.m. Aug. 9 in the 3800 block of East Main Street; at 10:45 a.m. Aug. 10 in the 4100 block of East Main Street; at 5:50 p.m. Aug. 8 in the 1000 block of South Hamilton Road; at 11:35 p.m. Aug. 11 in the 700 block of Lamby Lane; at 3:55 p.m. Aug. 12 in the 4100 block of Chandler Drive; at 8:10 a.m. Aug. 13 in the 3700 block of Doney Street; and at 12:45 p.m. Aug. 15 in the 4200 block of East Broad Street.
• A 24-year-old man was arrested for aggravated menacing and domestic violence, and a 22-year-old-man for assault and domestic violence at 5:05 p.m. Aug. 15 in the 100 block of Beechford Road.
• Police arrested a 33-year-old man for assault, aggravated menacing and possession of drug paraphernalia at 11:20 a.m. Aug. 11 in the 3900 block of East Broad Street.
• Assaults were reported at 9 p.m. Aug. 8 in the 100 block of South Yearling Road; and at 11:05 p.m. Aug. 8 in the 4500 block of East Main Street.
• Property destruction was reported at 3:35 p.m. Aug. 8 in the 800 block of Heritage Drive East; at 10 a.m. Aug. 11 in the 800 block of South Hamilton Road; at 12:45 a.m. Aug. 12 in the 4400 block of East Main Street; and at 1:05 a.m. Aug. 16 in the 4400 block of Josephus Lane.
• A vehicle was reported stolen at 1:20 p.m. Aug. 13 in the 200 block of South Hamilton Road.