A man was shot early Sept. 1 at an apartment in the 100 block of Parklawn Boulevard in Whitehall.
Whitehall police officers responded to a report of a shooting at 3 a.m. and discovered the man had sustained a minor gunshot wound to the arm, Deputy Chief Dan Kelso said.
The man was lying on the front steps of the apartment when police arrived, reports said, and a glass storm door was shattered.
The victim was treated and released from Mount Carmel East Hospital.
Witnesses described a man, providing a name, whom they said fired the gun and ran into another apartment.
Police initially believed the shooter had barricaded himself inside another apartment, but a SWAT team entered and found no one inside, reports said.
Gahanna and Columbus police assisted in the search that included a SWAT team, police said, and nearby residences were evacuated.
A woman who lives at the apartment where the man was shot allowed police to search it.
Inside, police found a bat with what appeared to be blood on it, believed to be connected to the incident, and signs that a person had recently packed clothes and left, according to reports.
The resident reportedly said a man with whom she has "an off and on" relationship has a key to the apartment but does not live there.
No firearm was located in the apartment, police said, and the suspect could not be found at the scene.
In other recent Whitehall police reports:
* A 24-year-old Columbus man was arrested for robbery and tampering with evidence in connection with an incident at 4:25 p.m. Sept. 4 at a business in the 4400 block of East Main Street.
The man allegedly met a known woman in the parking lot to sell her prescription medication.
Instead, the man took the woman's wallet and ran away, according to reports.
He was arrested in the 800 block of South Yearling Road, police said.
* Burglaries were reported at 6:25 p.m. Aug. 31 in the 100 block of North Yearling Road; at 10:35 p.m. Sept. 1 in the 600 block of Westphal Avenue; at 11:45 a.m. Sept. 3 in the 4400 block of Saint Ann Lane; and at 7:35 a.m. Sept. 4 in the 3800 block of East Main Street.
* Thefts were reported at 9:35 a.m. Aug. 29 in the 4000 block of Etna Street; at 2:55 p.m. Aug. 29 at Langley and Pierce avenues; at 4:15 p.m. Aug. 30 in the 4600 block of East Broad Street; at 5:30 p.m. Sept. 3 in the 4200 block of East Main Street; at 8:55 a.m. Sept. 4 in the 4000 block of Abbey Court; at 9:30 a.m. Sept. 4 in the 4200 block of East Broad Street; and at 3:55 p.m. Sept. 4 in the 800 block of South Hamilton Road.
* An assault was reported at 1:45 p.m. Aug. 30 in the 3800 block of East Main Street.
* Property destruction was reported at 10:55 a.m. Aug. 30 in the 200 block of North Yearling Road; at 1:30 p.m. Aug. 30 in the first block of Beechwood Road; at 7:25 a.m. and 8:25 a.m. Aug. 31 in the 1000 block of Irongate Lane; at 6:35 p.m. Sept. 1 in the 4800 block of Etna Street; and at 8:20 a.m. Sept. 2 in the 100 block of Parklawn Boulevard.
* Police responded to reports of shots fired at 10:30 p.m. Sept. 2 in the 800 block of Exeter Road; and at 5:55 a.m. Sept. 3 at East Mound Street and Beechwood Road.