Gustav Stickley was a famous American furniture manufacturer and designer, a publisher and the chief voice for the American Craftsman and the Mission styles, an extension of the British Arts and Crafts movement.
In October 1901, Stickley published the first issue of the Craftsman magazine.
A frequent contributor to the magazine was prolific Columbus architect Frank L. Packard, whom Stickley called "an artistic architect and a pioneer in the building of dwellings from local materials in harmony with the landscape."
In 1901, Packard designed the stone house at 1080 Wyandotte Road in Grandview on the knoll overlooking the Scioto River, which for many years was the residence of Virginia Palmer.
The home was built by David Gray, president of the Clinton National Bank, ostensibly for his newly married son, Eugene, and his bride, Mabel Sturgeon, who became the owner of the high-fashion women's store, Mrs. Eugene Gray's, in downtown Columbus.
Stickley pointed out that Packard used gray stone that was found nearby in the quarries, but in order to make the house seem more like a natural formation, the stone was not allowed to be cut by the mason.
The mortar was recessed, making the stone stick out in haphazard patterns.
This photo of the house was from that 1907 article and shows the creative stonework approach on the first-floor walls, the turret, the outside terrace and the chimneys.