How can you crown just one pizza place "the best" when you have so many categories to judge them on?
We asked three pizza lovers to name their favorite local pizzerias in many sects: from the place that makes the best deep dish to the best high-end slice.
Welcome to "The Great Food Debate," where we discuss the best food, drinks and specialties found in central Ohio.
And welcome to pizza month!
America has known October to be "National Pizza Month" for more than 30 years, and with so many local pizza shops in central Ohio, we wanted to spend an entire month chatting about what makes them so great. Later in the month, we'll talk to some chefs and restaurateurs about why central Ohio has so many pizzerias -- and why they all succeed.
This episode's panelists are:
• Dilara Casey, founder of the Instagram account @FerociousAppetite
• Jim Ellison, co-founder of Columbus Brew Adventures and founder of the Columbus food blog, "CMH Gourmand."
• Vince Tornero, host and creator of "In The Record Store," a podcast about the local music scene in central Ohio (ThisWeek also features articles about recent guests on his podcast.)
• Best traditional pizza (including the square/party cut that Columbus is known for)
• Best thin crust
• Best deep dish
• Best pizza-by-the-slice
• Best coal-fired pizza
• Best gourmet or high-end pizza
Restaurants mentioned in this episode:
• Iacono's (locations in Columbus, Hilliard and Powell)
• Grandma's Pizza (locations in Columbus, Gahanna and Reynoldsburg)
• Tommy's Pizza (locations in Columbus, Dublin and Upper Arlington)
• Rubino's Pizza (2643 E. Main St., Columbus)
• Flying Pizza (Closed; Formerly at 1812 N. High St., Columbus)
• Meister's Bar (1168 Chambers Road, Columbus)
• Yellow Brick Pizza (two locations in Columbus)
• Tristano's Pizzeria (Closed; Formerly at 3306 Columbus St., Grove City)
• Leone's Pizza (5413 Sinclair Road, Columbus)
• Massey's Pizza (locations in Columbus, Gahanna, Pataskala, Powell, Reynoldsburg, Westerville and Whitehall)
• Adriatico's New York Style Pizza (1618 Neil Ave., Columbus)
• Natalie's Coal Fired Pizza (5601 N. High St., Worthington)
• Figlio (locations in Grandview Heights and Upper Arlington)
• Wine Bistro (locations in Upper Arlington, Westerville and Worthington)
• Northstar Cafe (locations in Columbus, Westerville and at Easton Town Center)
• Paulie Gee's (1195 N. High St., Short North)
• Bono Pizza (Closed; Formerly at 1412 Presidential Drive, Columbus. RIP)
• GoreMade Wood Fired Pizza (936 N. Fourth St., Columbus)
• Mikey's Late Night Slice (four locations in Columbus)
• Lucky's Market (2770 N. High St., Columbus)
• Whole Foods Market (locations in Columbus, Upper Arlington and at Easton Town Center)
• Harvest Pizzeria (locations in Bexley, Clintonville, Dublin, German Village and Grandview Heights)
• Villa Nova Ristorante (5545 N. High St., Columbus)
• Sarefino's Pizzeria and Italian Deli (Inside North Market, 59 W. Spruce St., Columbus)
• Bexley Pizza Plus (2651 E. Main St., Columbus)
• Giuseppe's Ritrovo (2268 E. Main St., Columbus)
• Josie's Pizza (two locations in Columbus)
• Hounddog's Pizza (2657 N. High St., Columbus)
• Little Sicily's Pizza (2965 Brice Road, Brice)
• Vick's Gourmet Pizzeria (7345 E. Main St., Reynoldsburg)
• The Rossi Bar & Kitchen (895 N. High St., Columbus)
• Enrico's Pizza & Restaurant (5788 Frantz Road, Dublin)
• Eagles Pizza (2 N. High St., New Albany)
• Dewey's Pizza (locations in Dublin, Columbus and Worthington)
• Bella Pizza (958 Demorest Road, Columbus)
• East Coast Pizzeria (5060 N. High St., Columbus)
• Borgata Pizza Cafe (locations in Columbus and Worthington)
New episodes are released every Friday. Subscribe to our podcast on iTunes, Google Play and Stitcher. Have any suggestions on what we should talk about? Email us at email@example.com or tweet us at @ThisWeekNews.
After you subscribe, the latest episodes will be downloaded automatically to your phone or tablet so you can listen during your commute while working out or making dinner.
This podcast was produced by Scott Hummel, ThisWeek assistant managing editor, digital, and hosted by Abby Armbruster, ThisWeek social-media strategist.