In May 1953, Dr. Wayne Brehm, president of the board of trustees of the new Franklin County Veterans Memorial, turned the first shovelful of earth in groundbreaking ceremonies for the $3 million project while other board members looked on.
The building, which opened on West Broad Street in Franklinton in 1955, stood for six decades and was demolished in 2015.
In its place, the $82 million National Veterans Memorial and Museum was built.
Initially, it was planned to be a modern structure to replace the old county Veterans Memorial, but it turned into a more ambitious national project.
It will be a public museum geared toward sharing the experiences of veterans across all eras, conflicts and branches of the military.
It is scheduled to open Oct. 27.