As National Pizza Month comes to a close, we are ending on a high note by talking to three people who create pizza toppings that are out of this world.
From a mussel pizza (with mussels still in their shell) to one based on Showtime's "Dexter," we discovered how they come up with these pizzas and how they market the oddball concoctions.
Welcome to "The Great Food Debate," where we talk about the best food, drinks and more in central Ohio.
Three weeks ago, we made a laundry list of the 'best ofs," from favorite deep dish to best high-end pizza found in central Ohio.
Two weeks ago, we interviewed pizza shop owners from Bexley Pizza Plus, Borgata Pizza Cafe and Mama Mimi's Take N' Bake Shop about how to make great pizza and where they go to find a good slice in central Ohio.
Last week, we toured the Donatos test kitchen and made three pizzas, including their most popular pepperoni pizza and the Founder's Favorite (the top choice of managing editor Lee Cochran).
This episode's panelists are:
• Jason Biundo, part owner of Mikey's Late Night Slice (locations in the Arena District, Clintonville, Short North and downtown Columbus)
• Heidi Oliver, director of promotions at Mikey's Late Night Slice
• Peter Danis, owner of Figlio Wood Fired Pizza (locations in Grandview, Upper Arlington and Dayton)
Where do they go to find the best pizza in central Ohio?
• Jason's pick: Flying Pizza (Former location: 1812 N. High St., Columbus) and Buckeye Slice (Former location: 5216 Bethel Road, Columbus).
• Heidi's pick: Pizza Hut (Editor's note: Heidi mentioned that her pick was somewhat persuaded by her pregnancy. Congratulations!)
• Peter's pick: Harvest Pizzeria (Locations in Bexley, Clintonville, Dublin, German Village and Grandview Heights)
Other pizza places mentioned in this episode:
• Sizzle Pie (locations in Eugene and Portland, Oregon, and Seattle, Washington)
• &Pizza (pronounced "And pizza") (locations in seven states; the closest to central Ohio would be Washington, D.C.)
New episodes are released every Friday. Subscribe to our podcast on iTunes, Google Play and Stitcher. Have any suggestions on what we should talk about? Email us at email@example.com or tweet us at @ThisWeekNews.
After you subscribe, the latest episodes will be downloaded automatically to your phone or tablet so you can listen during your commute while working out or making dinner.
This podcast was produced by Scott Hummel, ThisWeek assistant managing editor, digital, and hosted by Abby Armbruster, ThisWeek social-media strategist.