The August Wagner Brewery, shown at 605 S. Front St. the week it closed in January 1974, was the last of about 30 locally owned wholesale breweries on Columbus' South Side.
Although the company had survived Prohibition decades earlier, it ended up suspending operations because of outdated equipment, debt and taxation challenges.
Gam was its most popular brand of beer, along with Robin Hood Ale and other products, but the beers no longer could compete with national brands.
The Brewery District was reinvented in the late 1980s and 1990s as a dining and entertainment destination with microbreweries.
The district traces its history back to 1836, when German immigrant Louis Hoster opened the city's first brewery.
This building was razed after it closed, and on the site today is the Brewers Yard mixed-use project.