This undated photo from the Baker Art Studios in Columbus shows the daughters of Humphrey and Mary Roberts: (from left) Anne Roberts Morgan, Margaret Roberts Hughes, Mary Roberts Price and Catharine (Kate) Roberts Smith.
They were born in Dolgradog, Plaismenith, North Wales. Catharine Smith's husband, Benjamin, was a financier and founder of the Hocking Valley Rail Road, which ran along the Olentangy River on the east boundary of what would become Grandview.
He also developed the Columbus & Indiana Central Railroad as a possible route to Chicago.
The Smiths' Victorian home at the southeast corner of East Broad and Fourth Street is now the Columbus Club. Mr. Smith owned and subsequently subdivided the 800-acre Marble Cliff farm, which comprised most of the area known today as Old Upper Arlington.
In 1859, Mr. Smith sold 320 acres of the property to Mary's Price's husband, Timothy J. Price.
This parcel contained the limestone quarries along the west boundary near the Scioto River. Timothy Price became the proprietor of the T.J. Price Stone Co., a predecessor to the Marble Cliff Quarries Co.
Not to be outdone by his brother-in-law, in 1889, Timothy Price platted Arlington Heights, the first subdivision of what was to become Marble Cliff.
Price built several residences in the subdivision for his family, one of which his daughter, Mary Jane, called "Dolgradog" after the family homeland.