As the holiday season arrives, many Columbus residents recall the Bierberg Bakery in German Village, which baked wedding and bar-mitzvah cakes and more than 25 kinds of Christmas cookies.
The bakery was started in 1913 and relocated to German Village in 1971, established and operated by Theresa Bierberg.
She was the wife of Ferdinand Bierberg, pictured on the left in this circa-1900 photograph with his brother, Valentine, near the covered bridge that spanned the Scioto River at Trabue Road.
These two and their brother, Henry, all arrived in Columbus from Speyer, Germany, around this time.
They were tailors for the Pontifical College Josephinum, which originally occupied the entire city block surrounded by East Mound and East Main streets and South 17th and 18th streets on the southeast side of Columbus.
After the Josephinum moved to the Worthington area in 1931, they opened their own shop on East Main Street.
The brothers were accomplished amateur photographers; Henry likely took this photo.
They developed an extensive photographic record of early-20th-century central Ohio, including Grandview eights and Marble Cliff.
Many of the turn-of-the-century photographs in the collection of the Grandview Heights/Marble Cliff Historical Society are the work of the Bierberg brothers.