Dr. James F. Baldwin, a noted surgeon, opened Grant Hospital in 1900 to serve Columbus' growing middle class.
A few years later, after some expansion, it was considered the largest private hospital in the world.
In April 1960, over a metal box filled with photos and mementos, the cornerstone of a new Grant Hospital was set in place at State and Sixth streets.
At the event were, left to right, Mrs. Joseph Horchow, Grant trustee; Mrs. Morris Battles, president of the Women's Service Board; Louis Studer of the construction staff; and Louis F. Karlsberger, architect.
The 420-bed institution was erected at the rear of the old hospital and opened the following year.
It was built in the shape of a St. Andrew's cross, arranged so that each room would receive sunlight sometime during the day.
The hospital is known today as OhioHealth Grant Medical Center.