The rails played an important role as the area that is now Grandview Heights and Marble Cliff was opened to settlement.
In this photo, a locomotive of the Pennsylvania railroad travels north at the western edge of Marble Cliff.
The Pennsylvania railroad, built in this area in 1868 as the Columbus, Chicago, Indianapolis Central Railroad, had a "flag stop" depot on Grandview Avenue, where the NAPA store now is located, and later the busy Marble Cliff station, originally called the Scioto Depot, at Fifth Avenue and Dublin Pike, now the site of Columbia Gas.
The east end of the region was served by the Hocking Valley Railroad (1867), which ran from the Ohio River to Lake Erie; a HVRR locomotive is at the upper left in the inset.
It played a large role in transporting the elephants of the Sells Circus.
Next is the No. 23 engine of the Marble Cliff Quarries; the No. 103 interurban train, which ran from downtown to Fishinger Road; and the upper right photo is the Arlington car of the trolley system (1901) which came up Broadview Hill and turned down First Avenue.