Daniel Thomas (inset) arrived in 1844 to the area that would become Grandview Heights and discovered this cabin.
Located between the Olentangy River and what is now Northwest Boulevard, the cabin was covered in climbing vines with mud filler for the crudely hewn logs, according to a 1908 article in the Ohio State Journal.
Thomas lived in the cabin for 15 years while farming the area between Goodale Boulevard and Third Avenue, vacating it after he built a large farmhouse and barn nearby.
It remained empty for several decades until his grandson, James O. Thomas, moved into it in 1890.
James Thomas, the father of author and musician Caroline Thomas Harnsberger, who moved back to Grandview after an illustrious career in Chicago, lived there until he moved into his new house on the hill near Goodale on the west side of Northwest Boulevard.
He and his family farmed there until the entire farm was sold in 1916 to the Northwest Boulevard Co. for subdivision into lots for homes.
The original Thomas home at 789 Northwest Blvd. was razed in the early 1990s to build the Grand View of Columbus Condominiums.