Can you imagine what you might be doing in the spring of 2032?
I can tell you that next year's kindergarten class and families will be preparing for high school graduation ceremonies and be ready to enter a world we cannot even imagine.
Starting school is an important milestone for each family and child and, in the South-Western City School District, we are ready to welcome you through our doors next August.
In Ohio, kindergarten attendance is required and students who turn 5 years old on or before Sept. 30 are able to attend kindergarten. Families who have a child with a birthday close to Sept. 30 often ask, "Is my child ready for kindergarten?" This question can only be answered by the parent, but here are some things to consider as families make the decision about the right time for a child to begin school:
* A key component of the kindergarten experience is supporting the social and emotional development of each child. Typically, school-aged children are able to work in small groups with other children, work independently on various tasks for five to seven minutes, and take direction from adults in the classroom.
* Kindergarten begins a journey of high academic expectations. Our kindergarten teachers will excite, motivate and challenge their students as they learn to read, write, and work in the number system. Kindergartners also work with technology tools across all subject areas. While a child certainly does not need all of these skills entering kindergarten, a child's proficiency with these skills may help families make a decision about what time in their 5-year-old year may be the right time to begin the school journey. You can find more about the kindergarten curriculum on our website, swcsd.us.
Kindergarten registration for the 2019-20 school year opened in February. Registration is a three-step process:
* Call your child's home elementary school for a registration appointment. The district's school teams will be more than happy to help families navigate the registration process.
* Register your child at the Student Enrollment Center. All of the paperwork families will need can be found at swcsd.us under Registration/Enrollment Information.
* Attend your school's site-based family meeting in May to get answers to any questions regarding kindergarten and school in general.
We are excited about our partnership and welcoming your child to school in August. Working together, we can help provide the best experiences to prepare them for the world in 2032.
Brian Bowser is the executive director of elementary education for the South-Western City School District.