The Ohio Department of Veterans Services will celebrate Women’s History Month by having five female veterans gather and share their stories and experiences of life in the military and beyond – and how the service helped shape their world today.
A panel discussion called Women Veterans: Their Service Continues will be held at 11 a.m. Friday, March 22, at the Ohio History Connection, 800 E. 17th Ave.
In coordination with Vietnam Veterans Day on March 29, Vietnam-era veterans are encouraged to attend and be presented formally with a special commemorative lapel pin.
ODVS director Deborah Ashenhurst will share remarks expressing the importance of honoring Vietnam veterans.
The discussion will include the following topics:
• Motivations for joining the military
• Challenges and opportunities in training and war
• Continued mission of service after service through volunteerism, advocacy, professional distinction and public service
• Life lessons in tenacity and adaptability
The following veterans will participate on the panel:
* Emcee Angela Beltz, Army, chairwoman of the Ohio Women Veterans advisory committee
* Moderator Claudia Foss, Air Force, vice chairwoman of the Ohio Women Veterans advisory committee
* Panelists: Deborah Ashenhurst, Cassie Barlow, Rebecca O’Connor, Dana Robinson-Street and Nancy Schools
Admission to the Ohio History Connection for the panel discussion is free for veterans and military members. Other guests who mention the panel discussion while purchasing tickets will receive a $2 discount rate – $8 for adults, $7 for seniors (60 and over) and $3 for children ages 6-12. Group rates also are available. Members and children ages 5 and under may enter for free; parking is free.
The event is open to the public. No reservation is necessary.