It was an unusual “Moving Day” in 1980 when a crew relocated Canal Winchester's one-room brick schoolhouse, which is shown on the way from Gender Road to its new home on W. Oak Street.
Prentiss School No. 8 was saved after five local businessmen donated the structure, built in the late 1800s, to the Canal Winchester Area Historical Society.
It was donated under the condition that it had to be moved. The school housed students in grades 1-8 with one teacher and an enrollment of about 15.
It closed and consolidated with the Canal Winchester School in 1922.
After then it had been a private residence, a casket warehouse and the site of a piano business.
The move cost approximately $45,000 using both federal and local funds.
After the two-mile trek was complete, the building was restored. It is now part of the historical society's headquarters complex.