In May 1929, a tornado took the roof and walls from a cell block in the “city workhouse” at 515 Sullivant Ave. and McDowell Street (where Dodge Park is today).
Two prisoners were killed and at least 10 others were injured.
Police officials had to transfer more than 100 prisoners to the Franklin County Jail that night while others crowded into the prison chapel and hospital.
The next day, dozens of prisoners were paroled in an emergency measure, and others were put to work clearing the debris.
All the prisoners were accounted for -- except for five, who were presumed to have escaped.
The building, constructed as a jail in 1896, had been expanded to also function as the city’s police headquarters.