Mary Jane Price (lower left), the second child of Timothy J. and Mary Roberts Price, was born in Utica, New York, in 1839 and moved to Columbus with her family in 1864.
She married Charles Courtland Griswold, owner of Griswold and Sohl, world-famous manufacturers of carriage accessories.
Their estate, Dolgradog -- Welsh for "lord of the valley -- shown here from three vantage points, was on Roxbury Road, where the French Quarter now stands.
Noted philanthropists and society mavens, they amassed a large fortune and entertained lavishly.
One garden party circa 1900 included 300 guests who were transported by two special trains from downtown Columbus to Marble Cliff.
The local press reported guests were received by Mary Jane Griswold, dressed in black silk and diamond ornaments, and dined al fresco.
Mary Jane Griswold gave $400,000 in memory of her husband to build the Griswold Memorial Building of the YWCA in 1926. She also left large sums to the Salvation Army, Girl Scouts, Camp Fire Girls and the YMCA.
Her major impact on local history was her bequest of large tracts of land along Dublin Road to the village of Marble Cliff.
The land was sold to commercial interests and provided a sound tax base for the village.