The softball diamond and recreation area at the Ohio Penitentiary in Columbus was named O. Henry Field.
Shown here in 1970, it was inside the prison walls at the north end of the property, near where Huntington Park is today.
Softball and football teams visited the penitentiary to play the prison's team, known as the Hurricanes. Opponents included civilian teams, as well as those from other prisons.
The field was named for O. Henry (a.k.a. William Sydney Porter), the author of many popular short stories who served a three-year stint at the penitentiary from 1898 to 1901 on a federal conviction for embezzlement.
The facility was on Spring Street, in what now is part of the Arena District.
It closed in 1984, and demolition began in March 1997.