On July 18, 1873, P.T. Barnum’s circus trains pulled into Columbus to put on a daylong spectacle, including a museum, menagerie, hippodrome and 20 shows.
At 9 a.m., a 3-mile procession that included trained animals, clowns and circus performers made its way through the streets.
About 30,000 people attended the exhibition, which was nearly the entire population of the city at that time.
Tickets were 50 cents for adults and 25 cents for children.