My husband and I were adequate dancers in our younger years, especially in "slow dancing."
We still consider ourselves good dancers -- as long as we are sitting in chairs with just our upper bodies moving.
I am fascinated with the dance prowess of contestants on TV programs, Dancing with the Stars and So You Think You Can Dance.
The programs cater to very different styles of dancing, but both are interesting and entertaining.
I have been especially interested to see the progress of the tap dance troupe at the Senior Center of Reynoldsburg.
The Silver Tappers have been dancing for one year here, but their numbers, both men and women, have expanded and their routines are polished.
Besides the dance experience and accomplishment that they feel, they also entertain others. Their practices are 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays. There is no fee.
We have other dance opportunities as well.
Line dancing is offered several times. Beginner class is 9 a.m. Saturdays. Advanced classes are 4 p.m. Mondays and 10 a.m. Saturdays. A $1 donation is encouraged.
Ballroom dance classes for beginners are 5:15 p.m. Mondays with the advanced class following at 6 p.m. Bring a partner. The fee is $5.
And the fun combination of exercise and dance is Zumba Gold, held at 10:10 a.m. Fridays. The cost is $5 per class or $40 for 10 classes.
Why not join members for some musical and rhythmic fun?
Here are some other coming events.
* Saturdays at 11:30. New offering: Chair volleyball
* Aug. 6, 2 p.m.: RSVP Senior Corps Afternoon Tea. This connects seniors ages 55 and over with people and organizations that need them. Those wanting to attend must call ahead.
* Aug. 13, 9 a.m.: Dawes Arboretum trip with boxed lunch included. The cost is $20.
* Aug. 14, noon: Lunch and Learn, sponsored by Violet Springs. The Senior Executive Club provides opportunities to meet new people and to participate in new activities and discussion groups.
Lunch is provided. Those wanting to attend must call ahead.
* Aug. 15, 10:15 a.m.: Tour of Amazon Fulfillment Center (with stairs and quite a bit of walking).
* Aug. 16, 9 a.m.: Coffee Shop Hop.
* Aug. 16, 9 a.m.: Making Charitable Bequests, presented by Jim Hargrove, Esq.
* Aug. 23, 11 a.m.: Food and Flicks trip to a local movie theater. Atendees will need to provide their own lunches.
* Aug. 21: Sites, Flights and Delights of Dayton, includes Carillon Historical Park, Woodland Cemetery, Ester Price Candies, Young's Jersey Dairy and Wright-Patterson Air Force Base. Lunch is included at Franco's Restaurant Italiano. The cost is $59.
* Aug. 30, 8 a.m.: Trip to LaComedia for the live production of On Golden Pond. This includes lunch buffet. The cost is $42.
You can find out how to participate by calling the Senior Center Office at 614-866-5890.
Vicki Albrecht spent 32 years as a teacher before retiring. She has been a member of SCOR since 2014. SCOR provides this column to ThisWeek Reynolsburg News.