The cooler nights that we have been experiencing have come as a welcome change for me.
I always look forward to the seasonal changes. However, I don't like that it is getting dark earlier.
The "fall-back" time change will be appreciated.
Changes are sometimes welcome or exciting. Others can be upsetting, unpleasant and hard, especially for those of us who may be "set in our ways." (Even my dog, who just nudged my typing arm for a treat after coming inside, wants consistency. I forgot.)
I have been thinking of ways that I can stretch a bit-trying new recipes, taking a different walking route, seeking more opportunities to help others.
Speaking of change and opportunities to help, the senior citizens of Reynoldsburg will be host to a style show to support the Reynoldsburg Cancer Thrift Store.
After a luncheon, some members have volunteered to model clothes that they have bought at the shop.
They also tell the price of each item. All attendees at the luncheon will bring something to contribute to the store.
It is amazing the kind of outfits that can be found there.
Marie Kondo, author of The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, says that you should only keep clothing that brings you joy.
If you have things that don't spark joy you might think about donating them. They may spark joy in others -- or fill a need.
Other good changes for the seniors are the improvements that have been made in the three side rooms of the senior center.
New carpet squares, new ceiling fans and paint make the rooms look fresh and clean. The assistant director's office also has been painted and carpeted and the layout has been reconfigured to include more cabinets and working surfaces.
Maybe some of these coming events will spark interest for you.
* Sept. 13, 11 a.m.: Skin, the Great Protector. COAAA will give suggestions on how to keep skin healthy and helping to serve as our protection.
* Sept. 16, noon: Cancer Thrift Store Style Show and Luncheon. Call the office (614-866-5890) to register. Please bring a thrift-store donation.
* Sept. 18, 10:30 a.m.: Mystery Lunch. Call the office to sign up.
* Sept. 19, 9 a.m.-3 p.m.: Songs for Sound Hearing Assessment. The event is free but call the office for an appointment.
* Sept. 20, 9 a.m.: Coffee Shop Hop.
* Sept. 23, 11 a.m.: Vertigo Doc Talk and One-Mile Walk. Dedicated Senior Medical Center will do the presentation and walkers will participate in the Ohio Department of Aging "10 Million Steps to Prevent Falls." If you cannot do the walk, you are welcome to attend the information session. Call the office to register.
* Sept. 24, 11:30 a.m.: Medicare 101. Information will be presented by an Ohio senior health insurance information program representative. Call the office to register.
* Sept. 25, 11:30 a.m.: Cutting Through the Confusion. Dan Orzo with the Ohio Department of Commerce will provide information on the basics of investing. Call the office to register.
* Oct. 2, 11:00 a.m.: Breast Cancer Awareness presentation by a Mount Carmel surgeon.
Of course, we always have exercise opportunities, games, arts and crafts, and discussion groups.
The dates and times are in the newsletter calendar. You can pick up one at the center.
Did you know that the National Council on Aging has celebrated Senior Center Week since 1979? September is designated as Senior Center Month.
Vicki Albrecht spent 32 years as a teacher before retiring. She has been a member of SCOR since 2014. SCOR provides this column to ThisWeek Reynolsburg News.