Whitehall police arrested a 21-year-old Columbus man for robbery, a second-degree felony, following an incident late Sept. 23 on South Yearling Road.
An officer observed one man chasing another in the middle of the street at 9:30 p.m. Sept. 23 on South Yearling Road near Yearling Circle.
The officer ordered both men to approach the cruiser. The man who was being chased complied, but the other man reportedly did not comply and eventually was detained.
The victim told police he agreed to meet another man at a specific location, and when he arrived, the suspect accused him of an inappropriate conversation with a woman.
Then, the victim said, another vehicle arrived and six men approached him, threatening to beat him up.
The victim told police he ran and that all six men chased him, but only one was still after him when police saw them.
The suspect told police he took the victim’s cellphone to resolve a dispute concerning a fund transfer and had chased the victim to tell him he wasn’t in danger.
Based on the interviews with each man – and finding the victim’s vehicle vandalized after it had been abandoned at the scene during the foot chase – police charged the suspect with one count of robbery, reports said.
The robbery charge stemmed from the cellphone taken from the victim, according to reports.
In other recent Whitehall police reports:
• A burglary took place around 2:45 a.m. Sept. 19 at a business on the 3700 block of East Broad Street, according to reports.
Three juveniles told police they found boxes behind a business shortly after 3 a.m. Sept. 19.
Police reported the open boxes contained several cellphones and accessories.
The property was inventoried and impounded, according to reports.
• Burglaries were reported at 11:05 a.m. Sept. 18 on the 4500 block of Poth Road; at 1:45 p.m. Sept. 20 on the 1000 block of Ross Road; at 10:50 a.m. Sept. 21 on the 700 block of Lamby Lane; at 11:25 a.m. Sept. 21 on the 1100 block of Irongate Lane; at 1:35 p.m. Sept. 22 on the 4800 block of Heritage Drive North; and at 10:30 a.m. and 5:25 p.m. Sept. 24 on the 4000 block of East Main Street.
• Thefts were reported at 5:15 p.m. Sept. 19 on the 800 block of South Hamilton Road; at 10:05 p.m. Sept. 19 on the 4500 block of East Main Street; at 10:50 a.m. Sept. 20 on the 600 block of Elaine Road; at 10:35 p.m. Sept. 20 on the 300 block of South Hamilton Road; at 8:05 p.m. Sept. 21 on the 4400 block of East Main Street; at 2:10 p.m. Sept. 22 on the 4800 block of Etna Road; at 4:50 p.m. Sept. 24 on the 4800 block of Langley Avenue; at 7:45 p.m. Sept. 24 on the 4300 block of Yearling Circle; and at 1:55 a.m. Sept. 25 on the 5300 block of Gatehouse Drive.
• An assault was reported at 9:05 p.m. Sept. 21 on the 700 block of Bernhard Road.
• Vehicles were reported stolen at 8:15 p.m. Sept. 19 on the 1000 block of Irongate Lane; at 7:15 p.m. Sept. 22 on the 4000 block of East Main Street; at 11:45 a.m. Sept. 23 on the 400 block of South Hamilton Road; and at 3:55 p.m. Sept. 24 on the 4800 block of Langley Avenue.
• Property destruction was reported at 3:55 p.m. Sept. 18 on the 600 block of Westphal Avenue; at 12:15 a.m. Sept. 21 on the 1000 block of South Hamilton Road; at 9:50 a.m. Sept. 24 on the 4200 block of Rickenbacker Avenue; and at 11:55 p.m. Sept. 24 on the 1000 block of Fountain Lane.
• Police responded to reports of shots fired at 1 p.m. Sept. 24 on the 500 block of Fairway Boulevard; and at 9:45 p.m. Sept. 24 on the 5300 block of Great Oak Way.