The film “Cleopatra,” starring Claudette Colbert, was playing Oct. 17, 1934, at the Ohio Theatre, 39 E. State St. The theater was built on the site of the former Columbus City Hall, which burned in 1921. The land was purchased by Loew’s Inc., and Thomas W. Lamb was the architect. The theater opened March, 17, 1928. In 1969, the theater came close to being demolished but was spared by the Save the Ohio campaign, which raised $2 million. The Columbus Association for the Performing Arts – best known by its acronym, CAPA – was created and still operates the theater.