A variety of activities will celebrate the holiday season in Bexley.
For those seeking to stay close to home to do their shopping, local businesses will showcase their wares during the Bexley Area Chamber of Commerce's annual Holiday Hop from noon to 4 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 8. Forty businesses and organizations along the East Main Street and North Cassady will offer discounts and hold holiday-themed activities from writing letters to Santa and military members at the Bexley Public Library, 2411 E. Main St., to crafts for all ages in a tent on Capital University's main lawn, East Main Street and College Avenue.
"We've definitely added more things to enhance the day and increase the participation," said Elaine Pelz, the chamber's executive director. "The idea is a family-friendly, fun event. You can be a restaurant or you can be an insurance company, but if you have some kind of fun activity or holiday treat, people can come in and learn about your business."
The Holiday Hop also will feature seasonal music performed by Dave Sky, The Chambermaids and the Flat Iron trio; an elf scavenger hunt; and visits for children by Santa and Mrs. Claus, Dreidel Man, Olaf from the Disney movie "Frozen," and the Not Just Make Believe Princesses. For a complete listing of events and participating businesses, go to bexleyareachamber.org.
Other local events include:
* Capital University's Christmas Festival will be Thursday, Dec. 5, through Sunday, Dec. 8, at Mees Hall, 1 College and Main. The festival will feature the university's Chapel Choir, Choral Union, Women's Chorus, The Chordsmen, Philomel and instrumentalists.
* Bexley's annual tree lighting will be 4 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 8, at Drexel Circle, located at the intersection of North Drexel Avenue and East Broad Street.
* The Yuletide Arts & Crafts Show will be 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 7, at Christ Lutheran Church, 2314 E. Main St.
* Jeffrey Mansion's annual Pancake Breakfast will be 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. Dec. 14 at Jeffrey Mansion, 165 N. Parkview Ave.
* Bexley's annual Menorah Lighting Event will be 5 to 6 p.m. Dec. 23 at Drexel Circle.