The dam that created Griggs Reservoir originally was called the Storage Dam and also was known as the Jeffrey Dam because Robert Jeffrey was the mayor of Columbus when the dam was built.
The dam was completed Nov. 25, 1904.
The reservoir is 6 miles long and about 500 feet wide, covering 363 acres and holding more than 1 billion gallons of water.
Julian Griggs was the city engineer and oversaw construction, and James Westwater and John Casey were the builders.
In 1922 the dam was renamed Griggs Dam in honor of Griggs.