Murray City Coal and Ice Co. was located between Third and Fifth avenues on Edgehill Road, near where Giant Eagle is now located.
For years, it shared space with the Boulevard Lumber Co., which was started by Henry Miller.
The owner of Murray City was Charles H. Boardman, who was active in Marble Cliff politics and activities. Boardman recently had moved to Columbus from West Virginia, where he was involved in a mining company.
He was interested in working in a similar business, and in 1919 bought the Murray City Coal Co., one of the oldest retail coal businesses in the area.
Boardman, who was a civil and mining engineer by trade, designed and built innovative "tipples," which were towers used to transfer coal from railroad cars, then screen, clean and load the coal into the self-dumping Packard delivery trucks or horse-drawn wagons that would move the coal to households in the region.
This photo shows the company's building and the new illuminated sign atop the four tall silos that replaced the tipples.
It was designed to be visible from the new Olentangy River Road extension just south of Fifth Avenue.
The sign, built and erected by the Columbus Outdoor Advertising Co., was 160 feet long with letters that were 6 feet tall; it was at the time the largest illuminated sign in central Ohio.