The Columbus Sunday Dispatch published a story about Grandview resident and entrepreneur Julius Stone on June 4, 1939, when he was 84 years old.
This photograph was a note to his son, Franz, on Stone's 91st birthday in 1946.
He died the following year. Julius Frederick Stone was born in Michigan in 1855, one of 11 children of Franz Theodore and Emilie Sydow Stone.
His father, Franz Stein, an astronomer, came to the U.S. following the German Revolution of 1848 and changed his last name to Stone.
Julius completed only six years of formal education but supplemented it with his voracious reading habits.
He got his first job in a grain business when he was 12, started as a railroad telegrapher when he was 16 and continued to work on the railroad until 1885. He then started in the manufacturing industry.
He was president of Columbus McKinnon Chain Co.; Chisholm Moore Hoist Co. of Canada; Case, Crane and Colborne-Jacobs Co.; and Banc Ohio Corp. Stone also was chairman of the board of Seagrave Corp., a manufacturer of fire equipment.
He served on the board of trustees of Ohio State University for more than 20 years and was awarded an honorary doctorate from Ohio State in 1938.
He started the Research Foundation at Ohio State, and in 1925 purchased Gibraltar Island in Put-In-Bay and immediately donated it to the university.
It is the home of Stone Lab, named for his father.
In 1900, he married Edna Alice Andress; they and their five children lived at 1065 Westwood Ave., now Stonegate Village.