This Italianate building, with its balustraded balcony above the entrance, was typical of a popular Victorian architectural style of the late 19th century.
The building, located on the southeast corner of Fifth and Glenn avenues, was built in 1923 by brothers Nick and Patsy Cenci, and housed their renowned grocery and restaurant.
The second floor of the building was a luxurious rental apartment with rich woodwork and Italian carved stone mantels.
The first floor was the grocery; the basement featured a soda fountain, a lunch room and the baking facilities.
The market was closed in the 1950s, and the building most recently housed Peking Dynasty restaurant.
The Cenci families were active in the founding of the Our Lady of Victory Church in Marble Cliff.