The day was overcast and gray, usually not one to look forward to.
But as I entered into the main room at the Reynoldsburg Senior Center, I could just catch a whiff of the enticing smell. Aaah! I carried my container of lentils into the kitchen where a huge roaster pan full of vegetable stock was simmering.
It looked as if I was one of the last ones to add my contribution. The roaster already was full of a large variety of cooked vegetables. Group Soup Day was here!
Group Soup Day began some years past by Judy Doran, our director. It has become an anticipated day for good food and collegial gathering. Members who wish to participate bring two cups of cooked vegetables to add to the pot.
The aroma increases gradually as our hour of total fitness class progresses. By the time we have completed our exercise we are so ready to enjoy the soup.
Each year it is different. This is truly an example of "the whole is more than the sum of its parts."
That got me thinking of other ways that people are adding to the whole here at SCOR (Senior Citizens of Reynoldsburg).
The Golden Clef Chorus combines voices to make beautiful melodies.
Silver Tappers practice precision moves to share a choreographed performance.
Line dancing members and tai chi participants enjoy being part of the whole.
Burg Bookies read the assigned books independently, but the group discussions add much to our appreciation and understanding. We have so many opportunities here.
Below are some of those coming opportunities. If asked to call ahead to sign up or if you have questions call the SCOR office at (614) 866-5890.
* March 10, 11:30 a.m. Ohio Department of Agriculture presentation. Volunteer opportunity to tend gardens on the Agriculture campus. Call to reserve a space.
* March 11, 11 a.m.: Making scented soap with representative from Cherry Blossom Communities. Call ahead to reserve a space.
* March 13 and March 27, 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.: Beading Class. Make earrings with Brenda Mason. Check in the office to see samples, sign up and pay $13 per pair.
* March 19, noon.: Crafting with Cookie. Make a spring welcome board. Call ahead to reserve a spot. Wear old clothes.
* March 20, 9 a.m.: Presentation by James Hardgrove, Esq. Advanced Directives: Discussion of living wills, health-care powers of attorney, declaration of funeral arrangements and disposition of body.
* March 24, 11:30 a.m. Birdwatching 101. Wesley Ridge Retirement Community sponsors the presentation. A Columbus Metro Parks Naturalist will be at SCOR.
* March 25, 10 a.m.: So Ready for Laughter: The Legacy of Bob Hope at Veteran's Memorial Museum. Fee is $12. Call the office.
* March 27, 8 a.m.: Travel to Springboro to see LaComedia's live production of The King and I and enjoy the delicious buffet. Fee: $42. Call the office.
* March 30, 10:30 a.m.: Mystery lunch. Call the office.
* March 31, 11:30 a.m.: Meet and greet Mayor Begeny. We will sit down with our new mayor and learn about the current events in the City.
May your participation in activities at SCOR help to dispel any dreary days and make the bright ones even more enjoyable.
Vicki Albrecht spent 32 years as a teacher before retiring. She has been a member of SCOR since 2014. SCOR provides this column to ThisWeek Reynolsburg News.