Otterbein University announced Tuesday, March 10, that all in-person classes are suspended for the rest of the week at the recommendation of Gov. Mike DeWine as a result of the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak.
The announcement came one day after Ohio State University announced it was suspending in-person classes until March 30.
That announcement was soon followed by one from the city of Westerville announcing the city’s State of Community, scheduled for Thursday, March 12, at The Point on Otterbein’s campus, would be canceled.
Other groups scheduled to participate included the Westerville Partnership, Otterbein University, the Westerville City School District, Westerville Area Chamber of Commerce and Westerville Public Library.
“We will continue to work closely with our public health officials and keep you informed as we learn of new information,” said John Comerford, the university’s president. “I am grateful for the collaboration, cooperation and support from this special community during this challenging time.”
Comerford announced that effective immediately, the university is implementing the following actions:
• All in-person classes on-campus are suspended for this week as the university moves to alternative delivery modes. This includes classes at The Knowlton Equine Center.
• Faculty and students must remain in contact via email and webpage as Otterbein moves classes to remote learning or other options beginning Monday, March 16.
• For the time-being, clinical rotations, internships and other forms of experiential learning off campus continue as scheduled.
• Residence halls and dining services will remain open.
• Outdoor athletic practice and contests will continue as normal. Indoor events will continue without spectators.
• Most public gatherings and events are canceled through March 27.
• Staffers are expected to report to campus and should work with their direct supervisor as decisions will be made on a case-by-case basis regarding alternate work locations.
Students and parents seeking information should contact the Office of Student Affairs at 614-823-1250. Faculty can contact the Office of the Provost at 614-823-1556 and staff may contact their vice president and or the Office of Human Resources at 614-823-1805.
Updates will be provided at otterbein.edu/covid19.