A second employee at a Hilliard rehabilitation center has tested positive for the COVID-19 coronavirus, a spokesman for the center said March 27.

Unlike the first employee, whose positive coronavirus test was announced March 25, the second employee is not a direct-care worker, said Ryan Stubenrauch, a spokesman for Mill Run Rehabilitation Center, Skilled Nursing & Assisted Living, 3399 Mill Run Drive.

The second employee, whose gender and age is not being reported, developed symptoms the previous weekend and self-quarantined while seeking medical treatment, according to Stubenrauch.

None of the residents or any other employees have developed symptoms, Stubenrauch said.

“Despite that, we continue to be as aggressive as we can in preventing any spread of the virus,” he said.

Rehabilitation center employees have spoken to Franklin County Public Health and Columbus health officials concerning the second incident and determined this employee “had very limited contact” with other residents and employees, Stubenrauch said.

Officials confirmed no additional precautions are necessary because the rehabilitation center “already implemented all possible safeguards” after the first positive test, he said.

Nevertheless, the small number of residents who might have had contact with either or both employees have temperature checks every four hours and respiratory assessments multiple times daily, according to a news release from the center.

Employees’ temperatures also are checked daily.

Approximately 90 patients and about 30 health-care workers are at the Mill Run Rehabilitation Center, Stubenrauch said.

In the first incident, a health-care employee whom Stubenrauch described as “under 50” had reported to work March 19 and developed a fever during the day.

He immediately self-quarantined and he tested positive for the coronavirus March 23, Stubenrauch said.

Immediately, per Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines, the employee put on a mask and other personal-protective equipment and reported the symptoms to a supervisor, according to a news release from the center.

The supervisor took the employee’s temperature again and discovered a fever. The employee immediately was sent home to seek medical attention and began self-quarantining per CDC guidelines, according to the release.

After the employee went home March 19, the facility contacted the Ohio Department of Health and began an additional cleaning and disinfection of the facility, Stubenrauch said.